WSS Search: Your search cannot be completed because this site is not assigned to an indexerPosted: November 30, 2010
I’ve noticed that this issue came up few times in different environments where Team foundation server 2010 configured with out of the box SharePoint (WSS) installation. I thought of writing this post that might help someone having the same issue.
The Problem: SharePoint search was not working in the current production environment and when you search you get a error message saying
‘Your search cannot be completed because this site is not assigned to an indexer. Contact your administrator for more information’.
You also notice that the SharePoint search service is running as a windows service in the service console but not visible under farm services in the Central Administration.
The cause: Search services not properly configured registered in the SharePoint farm level.
The resolution steps:
1. Go to Central Admin as login as the farm Administrator
2. Go to Application Management tab
3. Select SharePoint Web Application Management heading | Content databases
4. Ensure your web application is the one selected
5. Select your content database name
6. Under Search Server – select your server (if your search server drop down is disabled please follow the additional steps below)
7. Go to 12 hive folder and open stsadm.exe utility
8. Run the following command psconfig.exe -cmd services -install
9. Then run stsadm -o spsearch -action start (specify the farm account if required)
This process will register the search services within the SharePoint (WSS) farm and search service will now appear under central administration. Now you can click the service service and create a indexing schedule. After indexing job is completed for the given web application you will notice that search results appear as expected.